Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Saturday March 4, 2017 at 15:41
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 4, 2017 at 14:19, buzz said...
The customary arm/cable capacitance range is figured into the overall frequency response. Longer cables imply more capacitance and, therefore, a roll off of the highs. Moving coil cartridges, because they are generally lower impedance devices, are less sensitive to cable capacitance.

Well, yes, but moving coils output in the range of 1/10 the voltage (-20dB) of moving magnets. This means 20 dB more amplification must be used so the signal level matches other devices. This means that if the lower impedance advantage is anything less than a 20 dB improvement in S/N, it's a net step backward.

Back in turntable days, there were two approaches to overcoming the moving coi's physical deficit: you get an audio preamp/amp or receiver with a moving coil input, or you get a matching transformer that jacks the voltage up, incidentally also jacking up the impedance to a value that matches a phono preamp's input impedance.

In either case, CABLES ARE NOT EXTENDED. The turntable's cables are used, as is, with the ground connected wherever the devices say to connect it.

|... very expensive turntable and his new preamp that retails in the $7K range ...

For the most part I am never impressed when I go to high end shows. Visually, the kit can be interesting, but (with a very exceptions) the audio quality is "yawn" or worse.

What kills me about demos of such stuff is that they won't put on something that everyone is familiar with, so we can compare with our memories of the thing and notice how GREAT it now sounds. They put on some sheepherder under a full moon, singing while sliding down a glacier, accompanied by Tibetan Monk speed metal. Yeah, sure, that sounds better than it used to.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse