The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday March 4, 2017 at 12:57
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On March 4, 2017 at 12:20, Ernie Gilman said...
You'll find people in forums saying they extended the wires and everything was just fine. I'd like to know where they buy test records (they don't mention any tests at all) that allow them to make measurements of the system performance with and without the extensions. "Yup, sounds good to me" is probably the test.

I know an audio sale rep whose "system" includes super-special power and signal cables, Mark Levinson mono block power amps, separate DAC (he has said he doesn't like digital many times over the years), very expensive turntable and his new preamp that retails in the $7K range. I listened to his "system" a few weeks ago and I wasn't impressed. The frequency response was fine, but the position of his speakers was wrong and he had a row of pillows sitting on the backrest of his sofa so they absorbed on that side, but the other side was more reflective. We listened to a few of my LPs and I'm familiar with the sound when I have listened with speakers and headphones- the sound at his place had nothing that seemed to be coming from between the speakers unless I moved to a different position. When I have commented about AudioQuest cables with the batteries or some other item that he thinks is important but isn't backed up by anything resembling science, he just says "It's experiential". Apparently and obviously, I don't experience it the same way he does but if something is lacking and/or making me sense that phase cancellation is occurring, something is wrong. Maybe I'll ask to borrow his cable stands. Or not.

Depending on which forum(s) you read, you may be tossed because you think test equipment is important, but they see as some kind of heretical contraption. OTOH, I have read that Technics Thruster speakers are the best, so I'm heading out shortly, to find me some. Oh, yeah, that will make my system really come to life!
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse