The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Friday March 3, 2017 at 11:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 3, 2017 at 06:48, highfigh said...
If you hav had several conversations with him, why did you call him Bob?

I was in a hurry, no excuse.

I never said I used a transformer on my garage and if I did, it would have been enclosed, so there's no chance of contacting both.

I misunderstood this, then:
On March 1, 2017 at 10:50, highfigh said...
But using a high Z output does work, as long as grounding isn't an issue, which it was when I used Cat5e for the audio from my main system to the garage system. The electrician (turd) didn't wire it to code, so the sub-panel in the garage wasn't bonded to the main panel and I had hum. From the main stereo to the basement system, it was fine as long as I disconnected the garage or used an isolation transformer.

Besides- if I have a situation like that, I measure voltage and use a test light to find out how bad the PD is (Yes, PD= Potential Difference is the way we abbreviated it when I was in school). I wouldn't touch the house side with one hand and the garage side with the other, anyway- that's a good way to wake up dead.

Yes, you'd enclose the transformer, and I can see that you'd measure ground to ground for voltage differential when you're first checking to see what's what; but there's still danger because the existence of that differential means that anyone who EVER works with that wiring cannot assume that ground here is the same as ground right next to here.

For instance, when you start work at a client's house, do you ever measure voltage from one ground to another in advance of work to see if there's a potential, pun intended, problem? I've never done that, though seeing this, it makes sense to do it!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse