The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 32 made on Friday March 3, 2017 at 01:25
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 2, 2017 at 22:58, highfigh said...
I know- I have been dealing with ground loops for 40+ years. Also, Bill Whitlock may have done a presentation for Middle Atlantic,

That wasn't it at all -- read on
but he's the major force behind Jensen Transformers and all of their great White Paper tech briefs that have been linked to and quoted over the years. The first time I went to one of his presentations was in the early-'80s at CES and again in '05, when I was at CEDIA. It's always a good thing to go a learn/relearn what he has to say.

I LOVE solving grounding and noise problems and have had a few good conversations with Bill. In this case, Middle Atlantic put on a seminar on noise and Bill was there to add information, correct them when needed, and answer questions that the MA guys came up with.

The electrician was from Illinois, he never pulled a permit and didn't respond to any calls.

Great. People sometimes are a real piss-off!

The possibility of danger depends completely on the resistance between the two points and the current and since the garage is detached, there was little chance of contacting the ground for each.

That's an amusing comment. If I understand what you wrote before, you use a transformer to eliminate a problem caused by interconnection of the two grounds. That is, there's a point at which one can contact both grounds.

I didn't measure the voltage but the lack of a bonding conductor doesn't prove a PD, it just attempts to prevent it from existing. Regardless, it's still the current that poses the risk, not the voltage and since the neutral was intact, the difference wasn't great.

What's a PD? Potential Difference?
I have seen expensive cables hum like a banshee and cheap crap work very well- it definitely shoots holes in the sales pitch for something that costs more than a few cars I have owned.

And it's surprising that the resistance of the cables might be the issue, too.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse