The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Friday February 17, 2017 at 14:41
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 17, 2017 at 05:58, 24/7 said...
I understand your points of view and agree. My question was more focused on your personal experiences that 5.1 has failed.

Some customers are not going to buy a $1000 remote. Period. My question relates to that customer not your business plan to design a bullet-proof system.

How do you introduce that system to your customer?

"I'm in business to provide systems that WORK reliably. I can see how to make your system reliable, but it requires a remote control system that will make all parts work together without you having to guess what to do at any point. Because you are asking for it, I will forego reliability, but only if you agree that you are never to call me outside of business hours to solve problems, and you'll pay me [the going rate] for any and every home visit where I show you... again... what to do when things go wrong. I will reluctantly install a system that will probably give you problems. Please sign here."

You could also tell them that you can write up detailed instructions as to how to use all the factory remotes, and that you must sit with him and go over those instructions to be sure he understands them. And nobody else in the house will know how to use the system. The cost for that will be at least $500 due to the time you'll need to convert button pushes, which you and I can do without thinking, into clear step by step instructions.

Suddenly the thousand dollar remote isn't so far away.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse