The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Monday February 13, 2017 at 19:55
MR TKH
Lurking Member
February 2017
On February 13, 2017 at 19:49, goldenzrule said...
I think both the Harmony you are considering or the MX450 will be a good choice for you. Both will put the power of programming in your hands and not someone elses. The Harmony will be a lot easier and quicker to program. The MX450 will probably be a more solid remote. I, personally, do not like the layout of the Harmony remote. I find it to use with its screen position, but it seems to work well from the few times I encountered it in clients jobs. That is something I could NOT say about previous models. The MX450 works and works well, just a bit more of a pain to program.

As for the network, the issues I see are not speed issues, but how fast (or slow) it processes larger systems which lead to system crashes. If you are doing the very basics and using just your phone and tablets, a computer or two a few other devices, you likely will be ok. Not my favorite but you should be ok. If you build your system with more IP devices (especially if you go that Harmony route as it can do quite a bit with IP control from my understanding), then you may find issues using the Apple network gear that will not be present with a better setup.

Good points. We have 1 iMac, 1 Winderz and 1 Chrome book in the home. Also, a wireless printer. Other than that, it's just wifi to our Iphones that roam here and there. Oh, I suppose the TV is wifi also, but I seldom stream to it as I prefer to stream to the apple TV when we pay for content as its wired and the TV is wifi.

I've not put in an IOT (internet of things) device yet; letting that market mature a bit more first. When I do, my first stop will be streaming security cameras for sure. By then, I will probably have to jump up in router space to control those ports better.

For now, I personally struggle with with IOT security. As they say, the "S" in IOT stands for "Security". ;-)

Hosting Services by ipHouse