The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday February 13, 2017 at 18:44
gerard143
Advanced Member
May 2012
So a client moved to my area. Has some urc stuff. Nothing crazy. A mrx-2 and an iPad app. That end of it I have under control.

He wanted to upgrade to a new receiver. He has a 5.1 setup so I went with a receiver that should have fit the bill nice for this install. A pioneer vsx-831. Some of you might recall i got the unit and right out of the gate it forces a firmware update. It hung at 70%. Snap sent a new one this time it took the update fine. The receiver has 3 inputs with hdcp 2.2 and 2 of the older spec.

The TV is a curved samsung 65" un65hu9000 with one of those one-connect (2500 series)external input boxes for hdmi and etc. (No jacks on the tv other then that proprietary samsung cable from the input box to tv).

So as i was programming everything and getting everything going again thru the receiver as the switcher I noticed the samsung bluray player (older Samsung BD-C6500 model i believe, forget off top of head) would only show up on the tv for a couple of seconds then no hdmi input would show up on the tv. I'm like lovely. So i try switching from the bluray input to one of the older spec inputs hdmi 5. Same thing. I have sound but no video. So then i tried plugging in directly to the input box that comes with the samsung tv on hdmi 5 and it works fine but I cannot pass audio back to the receiver over the ARC. So i work around with optical.

All good or so i thought. Then client tells me he got a new apple tv 4th gen, ok no prob. Well the 3rd gen works fine.... 4th gen does the same damn thing the bluray was doing. Except I get no video at all ever just sound. Plug the 3rd gen back in its fine. Swap to the older spec ports... same problem. Plug directly into the samsung input box on hdmi1 and its fine but again cannot pass audio back to receiver and play sound over the surround sound thru the receiver.

So what in the hell is going on here with these hdmi issues. I tried every setting possible in every configuration on the tv and receiver for cec on/off, arc on/off.

So now idk what to do other then try a different brand receiver, re-do all my programming and hope that it magically works with a new brand.

Oh, I also made sure I was using the newest high quality hdmi cables that meet the most current specs.

Anyone every run into this oddity? I'm guessing hdcp handshake bs.

Last edited by gerard143 on February 13, 2017 23:10.

Hosting Services by ipHouse