The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Monday February 13, 2017 at 15:53
MR TKH
Lurking Member
February 2017
On February 13, 2017 at 15:40, 3PedalMINI said...
you are quickly finding out why Pros dont use harmony. you will also soon find out why you should replace your apple gear with a real router.

you have saved the money on doing everything yourself, why dont you bring in a pro to install something like Control4? EA1 with SR260 remote is $599 plus whatever your local CI charges for programming/installation. a setup like yours (assuming its half way correct) would take no more then 2 hours to install and setup/program. aside from a great platform you also get control of your system from your mobile device...its nice when the couch eats your remote or its in the other room! besides, its stupid easy to expand!

Noted, 3PedalMINI. I've been thinking of the Control4 route. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for your comment about the apple router. My background is in an extremely technical field (network security and controls) and I've had several routers over the years for my home use--besides the commercial ones I've had to white hat hack all the time. For a while, at home, I ran dd-wrt over the old linksys wrt54GI. It gave me flexibility and power. The issue is, I spent far too long tweaking rather than having it be reliable.

What apple built in their wifi offerings are among some of the more stable platforms I've seen. Sure, you can't have logging and deep port monitoring, but for home wifi use, it has been the most consistent router I've ever own and I think I've owned at least 6 so far. All various brands. Sad is I've heard they are not continuing with that market.

Don't be turned off because its an Apple product and it might carry the general assumption it's about looks and design and not performance. Mine have worked from day 1 and into their 3rd year. All till now, I've no 0 issues and they consistently push 100/mbps down on 5Ghz--without an issue.

Hosting Services by ipHouse