The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Wednesday January 11, 2017 at 17:46
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On January 11, 2017 at 14:12, Ernie Gilman said...
Well, the flaming wild-ass response came REALLY early in this thread! Mac's new topic needs some fleshing out.

I call Godwin's Law:

And here's the law:

and

I've also run into a corollary that I could not find in three minutes, so I can't cite a site, but it goes like this:

Let's get some information about this from Mike Godwin himself. In 2015 he wrote "Sure, call Trump a Nazi. Just make sure you know what you're talking about." It is a sobering call to just freakin' cut it out, because when you refer to Hitler, unless you've really studied history, you're calling on a simile that is monstrously out of scale. The article itself is at [Link: washingtonpost.com]

~~~~

I've heard a conservative commentator observe that "Being a liberal means never having to say you're sorry." When, in the next four years, it turns out that Trump never does anything anywhere near what Hitler did, Mac will not be shouting from the rooftops "I was wrong! I was wrong!" No, instead, his present assertion will stand in the past with no commentary from Mac.

Mac, please do the study of Hitler that Godwin did, then come back here and tell us if you actually believe what you said in your post.

One of the worst things about making such comments is that when mild irritating things are compared to Hitler, the monstrousness of Hitler is lessened. The Weimar Republic fell, at least in some part, because leftists called people fascists left and right, distorting and lessening the meaning of the word so badly that when real fascists came on the scene, Hitler and his brown shirts, nobody paid attention to the accurate warning that fascists were now, really, in their midst.

Lastly, I love this, that I ran across in my information search just now:
available.

Do you think that Godwins law was applied to Hitler when people said "come on man...he wouldn't really do that".

Everyone who ever says the nonsense Ernie just spouted is forgetting something...All the time between when Hitler began to take power and when he actually had it. Hitler didn't tour the country telling people he would starve the Jews to death and experiment on the gypsies. He started by saying things like deport them and put them in a database.

Carry on with your assumption that Trump is a mild irritating thing.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse