The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Tuesday January 3, 2017 at 10:14
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 2, 2017 at 23:04, pilgram said...
I'm well versed in the marine and auto world.

I've been upgrading both from 1984 to current to make them faster,handle better,and leap tall mountains in a single bound!!

Trust me on this.
Installing a marine engine into a car or vice versa is anything but simple!

ESPECIALLY with the modern,electronically controlled versions!

You would save thousands of dollars and a TON man hours by just getting a GM LS series motor and controller from Pace or even GM.

I've installed a couple of these in retro mods and was seriously impressed!

When I grow up,that's what I should be doing for a living!

I'm not sure why I've spent my entire life in this industry while doing this after hours......

WRT the modern, electronically controlled versions- I mentioned that I worked for a couple of boat dealers and the engine in the photo is from a Mastercraft, which is the main brand we sold and the one I trained for. It's just a 350 with a different intake, exhaust, plenum, MEFI ECM- it's a regular car/truck engine with the Northstar ignition system. The people who trained us developed the calibrations for all of the injected Mastercraft engines from the first ones until about 2004 and if I need custom calibration, I can go to his shop and we can drive it around for data acquisition to make the needed changes. If he wants to put it on one of his dynos, we could do that, too. If I happen to be in the Phoenix area when I install the engine, I have a friend who worked in V8 Powertrain for GM and he or his friends in the custom auto business can help do the same thing. These are pretty easy to diagnose- the one in the photo is open-loop, but I would probably add IAT, but not necessarily a cat system and 02 sensors. They wouldn't be required in an old vehicle, anyway.

I could always get the 350 Ramjet crate engine- both of the guys I mentioned worked on its development and it's plug & play, using the same kind of controller- 350HP/390 ft-lb ought to be enough for the street.

Got any photos of the retro-rods?
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse