The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Tuesday January 3, 2017 at 01:30
ErikU
Long Time Member
January 2015
This is an interesting thread for me. I'm in the broadcast integration business, and we do some commercial AV, usually as related to broadcast or high end. In all the time I have been in business I have never once been treated poorly by clients as described in this thread. Servicing businesses is certainly different than servicing homeowners!!

With that said, I can also relate to much of this thread and can offer the following observations:

- I also go above and beyond for my clients. I figure this in to our initial cost of doing business. When the client asks why we are so expensive, I give multiple examples of how we go above and beyond, and that we don't like to deal with multiple change orders for every little thing. I give examples of how we take care of our clients.

- I refuse to let a client force me into installing cheap crap that is a major PITA to support. I explain why, and how we have been burned so many time in the past. I stand firm on this, and offer examples of the value of buying "gold-standard" products. I continue to stand firm, even if it means not doing the project.

- I do give away some service, especially easy stuff. It builds relationship capital. I also charge for service that is clearly out of scope or warranty.

- I will bill for emergency service, but it isn't cheap and it is rarely used. This helps to set expectations and pays a fair rate if it is a "real TV emergency". It is very rare my phone rings off hours.

One thought I have on being burned out... maybe consider a related line of work. Something where you already have some connections, ideas, interest. Ideas like-A staffing agency for installers, or a local supplier of commodity goods that are needed last minute (wire, connectors, mounts, converters), or a manufacturers rep, etc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse