The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Monday January 2, 2017 at 18:32
Soundsgood
Long Time Member
November 2005
I’m with you. This is not the same business it use to be and the change has not been for the better. I have been around since before HDMI and when computers were computers and AV was AV. Our business is now more the IT business then the AV business.
Clients need to be told that the devices we install are all small computers. They have an IT staff at their offices that are PAID to take care of the computer network. We are the ones that are PAID to take care of their home network. Most of the devices in the system are not locked out to the client, only the control systems take dealer access. If the client wants to take care of it themselves (none do) they can. There is no reason why a client can’t reboot their own devices, update firmware, fix the network problems, etc. They simply don’t want to learn how to take care of their systems. That is the service we provide, that they can have all of the benefits of these systems and not have to learn a thing about how they work.
It’s your business, you get to set the hours. Sure every client wants you to be on call 24/7/365 but are they willing to pay for it? There are IT companies that provide that service to businesses and the rates start in the thousands of dollars per month to be on call plus more depending on hours used. That may work in some high end markets but in many markets clients just won’t pay what it would cost to provide the service. As long as you set the client expectations up front about what your service hours are then they have no right to complain. I have found that many people text or call to leave a message when they are thinking about it, not expecting me to pick up or reply. I have clients call the office number that I forward to my cell during the day and can un forward at night. Some clients have my cell but they are normally not a problem, if they ever get to be then I will just use the do not disturb mode.
There are some people like your Christmas Eve guy that fall into the self righteous A$$hole category and unfortunately

Hosting Services by ipHouse