Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday January 2, 2017 at 15:43
Richie Rich
July 2002
On January 2, 2017 at 15:21, goldenzrule said...
You mirror my sentiments EXACTLY. I have posted about it before as well. I try to play devils advocate (once I have calmed down) and tell myself that a person is calling at that hour expecting voicemail. But that isn't the case often as I get voicemails where clients expected that I should be answering the phone. I got one a few weeks ago where the client said at the end of an angry 9pm voicemail "I guess call me back when you are ACTUALLY working" in a nasty tone. All because his DTV volume was cutting out.

When I am done playing devil's advocate, I realize that intentions on leaving a VM or not, it is not proper. Especially when dealing with a small business in which most of my clients KNOW the number they are calling is my cell phone. Do what I do and jot a note down to myself, put it in the spot you check daily for notes or whatever, and call within normal hours. I do it all the time. There is definitely a lack of decorum with people these days and no matter how many times you try to set the correct example, certain people will ignore it.

I too have NO passion for this business any longer and it is nothing more than a job now. I weigh my options all the time and try to think of what I can be doing instead. If I come up with something, I will not hesitate to jump and not look back.

There is a select few clients that I will pick up the phone for anytime day or night. These are typically the larger projects that have homeowners who I get along with. If I can't get to them right away they are usually very understanding. As soon as I get a signed contract, I normally put all that client's contact info in my phone, that way I know who is calling and can choose to answer or not.

The 9:45pm NYE caller called from a number I didn't have, like he knew that I wouldn't answer if he called from his cell or home phone.

I am too old and probably too broken for a career change at this point.
A few years ago I tried to make what I thought was a smart move, getting out of the field and working as a PM for a large, successful CI company.
Yeah, that didn't work too well for me. Having to get up at 6:00am, drive an hour and sit at a desk almost all day felt like a prison sentence to me.
I am a trained professional..... Do not attempt this stunt at home.

Hosting Services by ipHouse