Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday January 2, 2017 at 13:49
Richie Rich
July 2002
Been in this industry for ~17 years now, started as a satellite monkey, now a licensed home automation contractor/ business owner.

It seems like the march of technology and the expectations that people have of it is sucking all the enthusiasm for the industry out of me.

Back in the day, service requests were usually one of two things, customer error or equipment failure. Replace part, re-explain to client, not hear from them for a few more months/years.

Now, 99% of my service requests are network/feature related. IP devices losing connectivity, streaming issues and now, lots of IP control related intermittent failures. You know, the stuff that we don't have complete control over no matter how much we own the network.

Another issue, the lack of decorum that people have. The other night I got a phone call from a client, from a number that wasn't in my contacts list for him at 9:45pm. Who in their right mind thinks it is acceptable to call somebody at that hour for a minor issue?
The kicker..... I didn't even install his system, I did the programming and it had been up and 100% functional for several months.
I have had clients text me at 1am, I have also had them text me at 5am.

Had a guy call me on Christmas eve and get angry with me because his fireplaces were installed the day before and he was upset that he was going to have to use the OEM fireplace remote to turn them on/off over the holidays. Nobody bothered to schedule or let me know dude was going to install that day.
WTF people?

Barring something being on fire, there is no way I would contact someone who had worked on my home at that hour.

Am I alone in feeling this growing frustration with the industry (and clients) or am I just becoming a grumpy old(er) man?

For years I had a passion and enthusiasm for this industry, the last couple of years have gone a long way to beat that out of me. I swore I would never become "that contractor" that straight up doesn't give a crap, yet I feel I am becoming that guy.
I am a trained professional..... Do not attempt this stunt at home.

Hosting Services by ipHouse