Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 88 made on Friday December 30, 2016 at 09:48
buzz
May 2003
I'm not against using a customer's consumer grade router if it is still working. The typical "issue" is poor WiFi coverage related to the router's location. True, a really ancient router might be slower than the new stuff, but I don't see any point in trashing a functioning router when it can still provide WiFi at the Internet line speed. Why go to the trouble and expense of building a 300Mb+ WiFi connection for a 26Mb ISP account? (unless the customer is transferring lots of large files, but in my opinion this should be done over a wire)

That said, I won't hesitate to replace anything that is or will be causing issues.

At home I'm using an old Linksys E2000. Even though I've gone through some grief with these things in customer installations and I'll look for any excuse to replace them, mine is working fine for 40+ wired clients and I can realize almost 100% of my 65Mb ISP connection over WiFi. I haven't had a network issue at home since I eliminated that terrible Actiontec FIOS router a few years ago.

I ask new customers, "how is your WiFi working?". (virtually everyone is using "wireless") and go from there. If there are no complaints and the existing kit will work with any new stuff that I am installing, I'll leave the current networking in place. 'New and much improved' (and likely less expensive) is always six months down the pike. If we put off the update until it's actually needed, we conserve cash outlay and reduce clutter in the landfill. In my discussions with customers I use this approach to generate loyalty. The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" approach is much appreciated. When it is time to replace, they don't balk at going first class because they know that I'm not loading them with junk that they don't need.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, I prefer RTI over URC because I have more control over the look and feel. If the budget is tight I'll go URC, but I don't enjoy the URC development environment. (RTI is only slightly better). I haven't done this yet, but I find the ability to build custom drivers for RTI to be attractive.

Hosting Services by ipHouse