Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Thursday December 29, 2016 at 01:18
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Dave,
I always bill for time spent on old remotes. People seem more willing to stick with the old remote, as long as it's working, and pay a couple hundred every couple of years, instead of going more than a thousand right now.

On December 28, 2016 at 17:29, Chris Frost said...
Thanks for the tip on dealing with long button pushes. I can actually rewrite the Hex code directly to emulate a long button push. If I change the part of the preamble sequence that deals with defining how many pairs of codes are issued, and then add a duplicate of the relevant codes then TSS sees it as a valid IR sequence.

To me you are an IR god.

...reduce the wait time as the macro is executed,

The one I cite took about a second. See, there are no pauses.

That's the really frustrating thing. The Sony HT-ST9 soundbar is £1,299 rrp (UK Sterling) which is roughly equivalent to $1,580 USD!! It's not a cheap piece of kit at all. Ditto the 4K Sony TV @ £1,999 rrp (UK Sterling) [approx $2,400 USD].

I didn't want to push the price up, so I didn't tell you straight out: the custom-made Triad was $1500. Not so overpriced, as it turns out.

These are items the client bought independently on a bit of a whim when out shopping with his wife. If he'd have asked my advice before buying then I'd have installed a 4K AVR and something along the lines of the Monitor Audio SB3 passive soundbar with an active sub. That would have solved the control issues instantly and given them much better sound too. Ho hum.

I hope you were able to discuss with him, before starting, the possible pitfalls of equipment not bought after considering how the parts will work together. Or use this as a reason to write such a speech for use later if needed. If a client is told his selections might cost him over a thousand dollars in research and reinventing the football, maybe he'd be willing to trade it back and come out of the experience with a commitment to having a great system.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse