The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday December 28, 2016 at 13:26
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
If you generate the regular codes and install them in the Marantz remotes, you can mimic a long button push by using a long button push. There won't be many of them. For instance, a DILA I installed about fifteen years ago used a long push, but only for Power Off.

The difficulty is getting a long button push itself into the remote.

The original Pronto (for sure) and Marantz (I think) remotes, which would include the 9200, issued commands in such a way that a long push macro could be constructed. The 5400 and its family won't do this.

The method was to learn the IR command two different ways.
A.Learn it the normal way.
B.Learn only the repeating part of the command, and not the initial part of the command:
Put the remote into Learn;
push the Marantz's button that you want to learn onto;
cover the face of the remote you want to learn from;
push the button you want to learn from;
after a short time, remove your hand from the front of the remote you're learning from.
Let it learn.

A learns the standard code.
B does not learn the initial part of the code. It only learns the repeating part of the code.

That DILA OFF command was a macro consisting of one A followed by eleven Bs. The remote was a TS-1000, but I believe all the remotes in that family would work the same way.

The NG remotes were smarter and inserted a pause between commands, so if you tried this with them, the controlled device did not see one long command. It saw several short commands and would not give the desired response.

On December 28, 2016 at 12:07, Impaqt said...
And sell your client a new remote.

Or sell him a better sound bar. The control scenario you describe sounds to me like it's for low end systems. A passive sound bar that uses your AVR's amp outputs would not have this problem. I recently installed a KILLER sound bar from Triad, custom cut to match the width of the TV (but priced well over a grand) that does everything you want to do, since it doesn't have remote commands to get in the way of the audio path.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse