The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday December 18, 2016 at 23:22
King of typos
Loyal Member
June 2002
On December 18, 2016 at 22:27, SWFLMike said...
I just went in to Comcasts office last week to ask about cable cards and they said they're going to be discontinuing those in January. I mentioned that to a friend of mine and he said, "Yeah, they've been saying that for years". The cost for those is $10/card/month.

I have a customer who has 12 TVs and wants the whole house DVR situation and despises Comcast, so we're going with Bolts and Minis. I'll let you know how it turns out this week.

You're right, they have been saying that for years... I remember them saying that in 2010.

But with the new law passed, I highly doubt it will happen any time soon. Unless devices like the Rokus will have an app or sorts. With this, you'll have just one device connected to the coax. Then everything else via wifi or cat5/6. The con for this, would be the amount of devices going through that one modem. But there again, I saw somewhere that Comcast is offering 200Mbps in some markets. I pay for 150Mbps, but receive over 175 on average. That's through a Zoom 5345 modem and Apple AirPort Extreme. All devices connected via wifi. I've had this set up for about 5 years now. Couldn't believe all the crap I heard from my Comcast fellow comcast employees about my modem. They hated working with the modem because they fail a lot. Hmmmm, and yet they would replace 3 to 5 of in house modems a day. Sure the ratio is far in favor of in house, but still.

Sorry for the blabbing. My point is, those cablecards could go away in the future with devices with apps. But that's many years away.

A cable card is actually a modem. So even a device like TiVo could have the modem preinstalled and the cable company can just push their firmware. Just like when I took my Zoom modem from one cable company to a different.

KOT

Hosting Services by ipHouse