Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Saturday December 17, 2016 at 12:43
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Why two switchers?
On December 17, 2016 at 00:02, Ernie Gilman said...
I did this, more or less, some ten years ago. It was speaker level switching, and I switched mains and surrounds to Zone 2.

I was describing a setup where you'd switch front and rear speakers to Zone 2. That's four channels from the surround preamp, so, two switchers.

On December 17, 2016 at 08:31, thecapnredfish said...
No reason you cant make your own. I just had a boat trim tab control box have a relay fail. Found exact one for a dollar seventy but have to buy 50 dollars worth. So I took four SPDT auto relays wired up for voltage reversal, port and starboard bow up/down. 20 bucks. New relay box was 140.

Admittedly, if this is your boat, you're not going to charge yourself labor, but what was the value of the time you put into sourcing, buying, designing, and constructing this replacement? Now that it's done, does it look good enough to be on a client's boat? Is it in an enclosure to ensure that it stays dry?

Little projects like this are nothing when we do them for ourselves but have huge other dimensions when we install them for clients.

If you didn't use Bosch automotive relays, be aware that they are usually easy to get and can be used for stuff like this, but they require more coil current than I'd expect A/V trigger outputs to supply. (I once ran across a Marantz projector that outputted about 5 mA at twelve volts. Had to build an amplifier for it!)
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse