Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Monday November 14, 2016 at 16:12
JimmyRemote
Lurking Member
November 2016
Hi every one,

For quite some time I have been involved in this project and, though I have learned a score of new things, I am still far from solving the riddle. Once I do, however, I will make it an audible thing as I think there are folks looking for similar answers, which simply are not to be found out there.

What I want is exactly what was in bricor's question.
I have an IP camera which I want working out in the country with weak network coverage and no power. For those reasons it is important that the devices don't drain much current and have strong antennas (mobile internet dongles as well as my 2nd generation iPhone often won't have reception there).
Thus, I intended to use this camera along with a modern smartphone (many of my friends had good reception there, but their handsets were much newer than mine).

Now that I have gathered the toys, it turned out that I am not fully set. I learned now about port forwarding and DDNS. I can get the camera send alerts and pictures to email but can't view remotely (I am unable to set up port forwarding on android).
Please correct me if I'm mistaken: the camera can send IP along with alerts so in theory I could access it without the need for DDNS, as long as port forwarding functions, right?
As I have not bought a smartphone for that purpose (using a borrowed one), I am happy to invest in MiFi, as long as they have decent signal, but they seem to not support port forwarding or DDNS...

I will be grateful for any comments and piece of advice.

The recommended Cradlepoint seems great but now available here in Europe.

Kind regards,
Jim

Hosting Services by ipHouse