The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Tuesday October 4, 2016 at 20:38
Pukin
Long Time Member
September 2013
On October 4, 2016 at 08:38, SWFLMike said...
People rip out Crestron 'systems' because they're bad, but are happy to sell you the individual components that, more often than not, are in perfect working order.

Hmmmm...

In my experience Crestron and AMX parts are ripped out for a few reasons. My experience is education, commercial and government. I can't speak for residential.

1) The programmer that programmed the system was inexperienced or just not good and the system was as a result slow or prone to failures.

2) The warranty on the hardware has expired and the parts are being replaced to reup the warranty on the clients terms instead of in a pinch.

3) New models are released of the gear and the customer has to have the latest version.

4) A sales person convinced the client that the other brand was better and the entire AV control system is ripped out and changed with the other.

Rarely has the hardware actually out and out failed. Most of the time the hardware is perceived as useless because it is obsolete. If you have imagination parts can be reused.

For instance I have heard it said that 2 series processors are no good for smart graphics. That is way overblown by sales people to get customers to part with their money. The Pro2 and AV2 with expansion cards for project memory are still very useful. CP2E processors are to a lesser extent useful on smaller systems. One nice thing about these processors is that the IP Table never fails to initialize upon boot up and reporting them is almost instant.

In my experience multi program architecture in Crestron systems leads to vastly over complex solutions. The true strength of the new 3 series processors is SIMPL #, multi-threading, OO programming and the Visual Studio debugger. Of course having opted for the compact framework Crestron has shoehorned themselves into the aging 2008 platform. The API needs to be moved to the full .Net framework so that more modern versions of Visual Studio can be used.

Hosting Services by ipHouse