Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Saturday August 27, 2016 at 03:28
sofa_king_CI
June 2009
I did a project awhile ago where each room had 5-6 loads. I did a dual gang, 2 KP setup for each. One keypad was room loads with raise/lower split at bottom, next was 3 button

room on (set to a unique "scene" that is essentially the daily used levels)
learnable scene, ambient, by default
room off

The top button can always be double tapped for BRIGHT, bringing all levels to 100%.

at a Main hall wneteance in the lower living space consisting of the kitchen, living room, dining room and nook, each containing 6 loads except the nook, there is a 3 button keypad.

AREA ON (turns kitchen, living, dining. And nook all on to their "room on" scene)
Nook (hall and nook light)
AREA OFF (turns all those rooms off)

out of 8 keypads among these areas, the only use that one keypad and those two buttons, that's it.

Someone ne recently explained to me that lighting designers don't think of each load in a room individuall, but more as part of the "room's light". For example a long strip of low voltage lighting may have lights shining in various areas through the room, but you never think of each light on its on once they are set, you think about how the room looks and feels with those lights all on.

so a lighting designer still imagines a single lights witch that would turn the room on and have it appear the way the want, but using preset levels and types of lighting throughout the space.

So so try not to think about the loads in the room as sow thing to interact with daily, think about them when creating the rooms 2 or maybe 3 scenes.
ROOM ON
LOW or Ambient
ROOM OFF

or throw in Task, if it's a space they occasionally need brighter lights,

i personally dont don't like having 5 or 6 buttons for someone to look at and have to memorize or read. 3 or even two buttons is simple and can be operated daily like a light switch.

pathways are useful also and can often be handled just by Bringing up all hallways to a low level.

More ore and more for me, if customers are wanting load control, it goes on that odd KP by the stove that rarely gets used or maybe just inside the pantry, no need to make the daily use interface complicated. The room is on, or off :)

i would also also note the shades throw a wrench in some this, and I've often considered always giving shades their own keypad. And retrofit throws all this out the window as you will likely be adding to the total number of user interfaces, however I think still have a KP with room on, room off, can quickly make the mess of existing switches never get touched.
do wino hue?

Hosting Services by ipHouse