The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Wednesday August 24, 2016 at 20:06
Bubby
Advanced Member
July 2007
On August 23, 2016 at 20:50, Mac Burks (39) said...
I read his post and the bit about 4 bedrooms stuck in my mind so i immediately started thinking about keypads in bedrooms. I didn't even respond about "global scenes". (what i call scenes that control lights in more than one area).

I have something kind of different in my master. Since I did a HW Wireless retrofit I had multi-gang boxes everywhere. There is a 4-gang at the entrance to the Master, so it goes Maestro, KP, Maestro, Maestro. I know it probably sounds odd to not put the KP first, but that first Maestro is programmed to the main scene which includes its load of recessed lights, and the bathroom light. But when it is on, toggling it turns off every light in the Master. It may sound odd, but it works great. The KP then has a few scenes and a button for the Recessed Lights that the first Maestro is connected to. Wife also has her Panic button which is just security mode global scene.
The room button at the top is a scene. Most of the houses have 2-10 loads in each room so "Kitchen" or "Bedroom 1" is a scene where we choose the loads included and the levels they should start up at.

| Over the last 3 or 4 years Global Scene (home away entertain evening etc) control usually ends up at a second keypad near entrances. So instead of just the typical room control keypad there is a double (or more) gang box where a second keypad does the global scenes. The global scenes also end up on the touchpanels.

My Home/Away scenes are on the 4+2 keypads in the +2 area. When they first came in my wife looked at them and said they made a mistake. But they hadn't. We use the KP in the Mud room to set the Away scene, so it is above the Home scene. But we use the KP in the garage to set the Home scene, so it is above the Away scene. This is because you would have to reach around to hit the garage keypad leaving, but the mud room KP is right there. Probably confusing if you were to look at it, but now we always know to hit the top button (of the +2) coming or going.

But in reality, we rarely have to use the Maestros except in the bedrooms and kitchen. I have been tweaking the programming for 9 years now and most of the lights are on timed events based on Home or Away or one of the Entertain modes.

I also have a KP in the MBR closet that sets conditions. There I have a button called In-laws. If this button is activated, some of the buttons on the keypads in the basement go into dumb mode so they don't sit around in full light because they turned everything on. And the KP in the dining room changes so both buttons (Dining and On/Off) set the dining scene because my MIL kept passing over the Dining Scene and hit the On/Off button which activated around 800 W of light which is way too much to sit and eat. (These are the In-laws that after having been to my house multiple times and using my URC MX-980 and knowing it is a universal and sits in a charging cradle, got me a remote caddy for Christmas one year, so that is why the keypads go into dumb mode.)

Hosting Services by ipHouse