Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Tuesday August 23, 2016 at 09:43
sirroundsound
November 2003
Sometimes you get clients that have their own ideas, most of the time they rely on us.
I have found that not all clients like scene or room based programming, no matter how easy it should be or how well you explain why it works.
They want a button for this light, another for that.

The only advice you needs is "be consistent"
If you make the bottom button on a keypad a room off or all off type of button, do it on all keypads.

I typically do this

Scene based

Room or area ON (entrance - Home)
Scene
Scene or feature
Next room or area
Room or area Off (entrance Away)
R L

Fixture based

Room ON
Fixture
Fixture
Fixture or next room
Room Off
R L

Double tap sends lights to 100%
Shades can easily be incorporated.

Variation of this would be on bedside Keypad where I would have a night mode and a goodnight button

I have "fixed" more than a few Lutron systems over the years and the main thing that needed fixing was the programming.
If a client is going to have to stop and read each keypad to remember what the buttons do (because they are completely different from room to room), your doing it wrong.

As for setting scenes. If you are not a lighting designer, and really don't know what may or may not look good, find a designer in your area.
Tell the client that if they are relying on you to figure out the settings you are bringing in your designer and there is an extra cost of whatever, or build the designer costs into your system price. You only need them for a couple of hours or so. Walk through with everyone, let designer take the client by the hand while you make changes on the fly.
Everyone wins.

Hosting Services by ipHouse