The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Saturday August 20, 2016 at 12:34
DavidinCT
Long Time Member
September 2008
On August 19, 2016 at 08:49, Lyndel McGee said...
Remember that RFX9400 and TSU9600 form an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network. So, if your issues are due to a neighbor incringing on your channel or other types of interference, your ad-hoc network may suffer the same fate.

Also, when you do this, you cannot access anything on the outside network such as weather.com for weather feeds, etc...

So, the RFX9400 creates it's own Wi-Fi network ? In remote control, my first priority is to have it control devices. So that will be standalone and at this point it's exactly what I am looking for.

It's not that I am worried about interference from external networks, I am worried about the crappy Wi-Fi router I have, or sometimes taking my server down (AKA: No internet) to do work on it, where the remote does not control everything. If it works on it's own, if there is no internet, then it should still control devices.

I ended up picking up a RFX9400 for $20 on ebay (score !!!!), so I'll have to read through the manual to get it setup in standalone mode, remove the MCEcontroller codes and put in IR codes for it.

I did find out the hard way by depending in Wi-Fi and using the MCEcontroller codes, I watched a movie (after selecting the device on the remote, not using it for about 2 hours), it lost Wi-Fi (sleep ?), and the Media Center controls no longer worked, I had to back to the home pages and re-select to get it to work again. This is unacceptable for a remote control and a "check for Wi-Fi option" would not help at all here.

If the RFX9400 will get it's own network, and not have to worry about dropping out like that, then it will resolve my issue then it would be worth it.

As for external sources (weather.com etc), if plug the network cable into a router to the RFX9400, will that allow internet based options or going to the 9400 kill all 3rd party options like that ?

Thanks again for everything !

Hosting Services by ipHouse