Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Friday August 5, 2016 at 16:28
buzz
May 2003
I'm not trying to be mean, but we usually speak of incandescent lamps as getting "warmer" when dimmed because of the color shift toward red. (Lower filament temperature) I'm guessing that this is because we associate "warm" with the orange sun and "cold" with bluer wintry days. I've had some people object to LED lamps because they don't (usually) change color when dimmed. In my opinion this is a learned response, but it still needs to be taken into consideration.

Successful dimming depends on synergy between lamp, dimmer, and wiring. It's really hard to provide smooth dimming with a two terminal solid state dimmer in series with the bulb. If the dimmer has leads for power, neutral, and the lamp, it has the best chance of smooth dimming. However, this is still not a guarantee when attempting to dim LED or CFL, because these are electronic devices that may not perform well at low levels. Dimming fluorescent lamps is difficult because the bulbs cannot not fire at low voltage and one must keep the cathode warm.

Hosting Services by ipHouse