The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday July 19, 2016 at 15:15
SRTShaker
Long Time Member
June 2016
On July 19, 2016 at 13:33, Ernie Gilman said...
It's been my experience that we don't hate people with EEs, we come to hate people who have EEs and therefore think they know everything. New EEs are, as expected, the worst, because they don't know how much they don't know. I'd say about five years in they have a much better grasp of how much there is to know and how much the "technicians," or worse yet "line assembly personnel," know that school never teaches an EE.

My dad was an engineer and had just short of contempt for technicians. (He also thought techs and mechanics should clean up and put away tools from the day's work AFTER they clocked out! That's outrageous!) It's almost as though not being able to do the math is seen by some as inability to comprehend.

It's irritating, too, that the previous owner found the installer unresponsive. That installer sounds like a jerk.

I was a Prime defense contractor for the US Navy for 20 years deployed in the Middle east. I recently sold my Engineering Company and retired from that dangerous line of work. I now do IT consulting safe and sound in South Florida. I am 52 years old. I have been an EE for over 28 years. I have no issue with anyone on here. I have never been verbally attacked by anyone. I just was amazed on how defensive some members got over this CCP issue. They attacked members simply for asking where to obtain the program. I find this wrong and way overblown. I am a fan of URC and their products, however the software policy is ridiculous. The Pros on here got personal with some members in other threads and that is not acceptable on a friendly public forum. The software is out there and the genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. It is not that big a deal. It is not that difficult to program the remotes and for most of us it a labor of love and quite enjoyable. The DIY crowd would never hire a pro anyway, so no lost sales there. If anything, the DIY crowd promotes the sales of the remotes. I just programmed one last night to control HT equipment in conjunction with a 64TB video server my guys installed in a clients HT room with several Dune players throughout the house.

I think the real issue is URCs policy. Some dealers give out the software, some dealers do not. Some members said that URC gave them a copy if they faxed in a copy of sales receipt. Some have said they were not given it. I can go on and on, however the software is out there and is easily obtained either from a dealer or ebay. I really think that URCs policy is not enforced because they really do not worry too much about it. They are still selling remotes and they have to compete with Harmony, which in my opinion are total trash.

Last edited by SRTShaker on July 20, 2016 11:14.
I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Hosting Services by ipHouse