Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Monday June 27, 2016 at 17:45
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I can't figure out what to do here.
On June 24, 2016 at 15:31, jimstolz76 said...
A better test than comparing two Speedtest results (because it varies so much and involves equipment outside of your control) would be to grab 2 laptops and run iperf.

https://iperf.fr/

It's a little geeky to get set up, but basically you set up a computer on one end and start iperf as a Server.

Reading the user docs, I can't figure out how to "basically set up a computer;" I guess you mean set up this computer as a server. I mean, I see command line options, but if you could give me some hints as to how to use these, I'd appreciate it.

Then set up the 2nd computer on the other end and run it as a client. It gives you the actual bandwidth that you are getting between the two computers.

Information says
Command Line option -p, --port n
The server port for the server to listen on and the client to connect to. This should be the same in both client and server. Default is 5201.

So... these are commands I add to "iperf" on the command line, right? What does bold print mean? What does italics mean? How do I decide between the first example and the second example?

Command Line option --cport n 
Option to specify the client-side port (new in iPerf 3.1)

Since both computers should use the same server port, why is there an option to specify the client-side port? Seems like that would break the operation.

And so forth.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on June 27, 2016 17:53.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse