Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday June 25, 2016 at 10:35
buzz
May 2003
On June 25, 2016 at 08:39, highfigh said...
No need to open a browser for this.

On a Windows computer, you should see a WiFi signal strength or wired network icon at the lower right corner.  ...

This can be useful, but the indicated speed is the theoretical maximum based on raw parameters extracted from the wireless card. All that is required is a completed connection between the computer and an access point. Actual transmission of user data may not be possible even though the indicated connection seems strong.

---

I've found that my laptop's wireless capability is more potent than a typical phone or pad -- particularly the older phone/pads. If I walk the area with my laptop, it may be doing very well, but the customer's phone/pad struggles. I like to use my own phone to map the area. This will more realistically allow me to estimate the effectiveness of coverage for the customer.

At some point I involve a customer's unit as a reality check.

I have also observed multi-path issues where moving the client device a fraction of an inch will be the difference between poor performance and success. In one case I was contemplating blue tape registration marks on the kitchen counter for the customer's laptop. Rotating the laptop a few degrees resulted in large performance variations.

Always a risk is interference from a neighbor because this interference can vary by time of day or week and location within the customer's site.

Hosting Services by ipHouse