The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday June 24, 2016 at 00:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Someone said in a recent thread that they've tried four pair cabling and it might not have been CAT5, but it worked fine for networking.

I've got this flip, see...

So we finally discovered the phone wiring rats' nest. All wires are four pair. The latest thing, maybe? Well, no. This wire was run inside the walls of a house that has a run of ten foot satellite dish signal and control wire, and down the hill we can see the 4" or so pipe that the big dish used to be mounted to. That tells me we should think of this house as 1980s.

So, a test. Connect the router to one of the 4 pair cables, and connect that to another one. Run speedtest.net at the router and then at the end of that monstrosity, and see what the difference is.

Our network alternative is DECA over the DirecTV RG distribution. And of course we'll be putting in a few WAPs where they will help.

Is this too crude of a tool to give me any useful information?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse