The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday June 23, 2016 at 07:55
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On June 23, 2016 at 07:40, thecapnredfish said...
Ernie, are you using the fox and hound type for this discussion?

Yes. I have never heard universal terms for these things, that everyone understands, particularly calling the wand the toner. It's like calling an IR emitter an "eye" when it outputs light instead of "seeing" light. I was surprised by the term fox and hound when I first heard it some ten years ago, and I'm still not used to it. I have to think every time -- which is the fox, which is the hound?

You mention the wand.

Right, which is probably what told you fox and hound. By the way, what kind of toner for this purpose is there that's not the two-piece fox and hound?

As an FYI, I have a toner with hi/low level outs made by Navone Engineering. Not sure they are still around. Works well on all speaker configurations.
Wow, still around. Davidnavone.com
Think I bought mine in the early 90's maybe late 80's.
Listed under tools

These have been made for a long long time. In the mid 60s I once found a wand on the grass between the street and the sidewalk. I had zero idea what it was, but the screwdriver soon helped me see it was pretty complicated. Back then, they had not transistorized things. This one was about the same size as today's wands, but it had a couple of very skinny tubes (yes, radio tubes), so skinny that the contacts were pieces of bare wire. Also, a low voltage battery for the filaments and a 90 volt battery for the plate supply were in there. And it was the same size as today's wands!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse