The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 56 made on Wednesday June 8, 2016 at 15:08
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On June 8, 2016 at 11:24, Audiophiliac said...
For $400 (for the new "Pro" model), it is tough to beat with URC, C4, Elan, RTI, Pro Control, etc.

I did 3 Elites for a client who bought them himself. I was skeptical, but by the time I finished, I recommended that remote to another client who needed a simple universal remote on the cheap.

I get the stigma about it being DIY and cruddy installers leaving them half baked in quarter baked systems. I get that you would rather sell a 40 point product. Both those stigmas could be applied to lots of products we sell aside from remote controls.

I can overlook both of those and sleep at night when my clients are happy with the solution I have recommended. With the Pro version, if they get it set up the way they are talking about, where dealers can organize all their client remotes in a single location on a dealer account, it will be harder not to use them for simple single room systems where we would normally go to a MX780/MRF350.

Cloud management, remote programming changes, iOS/Android app, 2 year warranty, additional control with zwave, zigbee, BT, etc. Perfect for those $5k family room systems. I do not get some of the negative nancy attitude towards Harmony....it is not like it says Monoprice on it anywhere. It is the "never have, never will" that makes no sense. Try it once. Everyone is doing it. Once you go Harmony, you never go back? Ok maybe that is a bit far out. :P

To be fair, Harmony had their share of "problem child" models and then, a past CEO (or someone) decided that they should give up trying to make the 1000 work with Z-Wave, as intended, so they eliminated it from the options and database. The people who were counting on it operating anything with Z-Wave sued and that cost the company, big time. They had also implemented a dealer page (which still works) and a dealer partner program but the lack of communication during that CEO's tenure was terrible. I sent an e-mail yesterday and I don't think it was ten minutes before I received a phone call response.

The replacement for the 1000 was the 1100 and that was much better- I have a client who started out with two of the 1000 for his den and house systems, with some equipment being shared across the accounts. The 1100s went in around 2009 and we're still using them with both having been replaced due to immersion in liquid and dropping onto hardwood floors, repeatedly. The RF extenders are the original ones, from 2007. They'll be replaced soon, by the Elite. I'll be getting more info about the Pro soon, so I may have them wait a bit.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse