Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Saturday May 21, 2016 at 15:06
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On May 21, 2016 at 00:06, Fins said...
when I was growing up, the best painters were also the biggest alcoholics. Somewhere along the lines, painters quit drinking (at least as much). I blame latex paint and the lack of fumes in enclosed spaces. Those old timers were artists and could do anything you wanted. That is as long as you didn't want them to cut in a room before their first shot had time to calm the shakes.

That's the background on the comment. Booze, solvents- a perfect combo for brain damage.

My dad had an upholstery shop until '69 and as a kid, I would go with him on Saturday mornings, to clean and do small jobs. One time, he had a Rolls Royce limo for a complete interior and it was from pretty early in the 1900s, judging by the wooden spoke wheels. They had been refinished before it came in, but they needed pin stripes. After the painter came in and they had discussed what was needed, he pulled a half pint out of his pants pocket, slammed it and hung out mixing his paint and getting his brush out until he was "ready". Once he sat down, he spun the wheel and painted the stripes on the fly. When he was done with the stripes on thee right edge, he stopped the wheel and spun it the other way, using his left hand to paint the stripes.

Amazing to watch.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse