Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday May 2, 2016 at 19:27
JohnGATD
Lurking Member
March 2008
Hey everybody,

A very good client of mine recently chose for purchase the LG OLED 55EF9500 TV. There are a few picture quality issues that we have not been able to address through the menus and I'm hoping someone here has seen these issues and resolved them.

First a list of components:
LG 55EF9500 flat OLED TV
Yamaha RXA2050 AV receiver
DirecTV Genie
Roku 4
Pioneer Elite BDP85FD BluRay
All sources are run through the Yamaha RXA2050
The Yamaha is set to pass resolutions (NO video processing - this did not help or hinder picture performance)
All network connections are using CAT6 Ethernet cables
The client has Time Warner Business Class internet service and gets 350Mbps download and 25Mbps upload speeds consistently.

DirecTV looks great for 1080i/p programing. Even 720p looks great. 480 (as expected) looks so-so.

BluRay player looks great. DVD and BluRay discs truly remind me of the heyday of Pioneer Elite plasma with one of their nicer DVD players.

Roku - Netflix streaming - Generally speaking, almost everything from Netflix looks very good to great. The few 4K movies/shows that Netflix offers look insane. Some titles seem to have trouble with dark back grounds looking like oatmeal moving around behind subjects in the foreground.

Roku - Hulu streaming - Same as Netflix.

Roku - Amazon Video streaming - Here's where things go south. Most 4K programs I tested with look pretty amazing. A few had that same "crawling oatmeal" in the back ground but it wasn't unique to darker scenes. With 1080i/p streaming some titles look OK. About 50% have the crawling oatmeal in the background, and sometimes in/on the subjects (think close up of darker hair).

One title in particular stood out: The client texted me at 9:30 one night to let me know that Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1 had some serious picture quality issues. When I went out to trouble shoot, I went through the basics (network connection, speed, etc). Everything was normal. When I pulled up Mocking Jay Pt 1 on Amazon Video I immediately saw how bad it was. No matter what I tried with settings on the TV and the "secret" menu on the Roku (fixed connection speed), I could not get rid of the oatmeal.

I'm beginning to think this could be a case of garbage in = garbage out but find it hard to believe that Amazon would let poor quality content reside on their servers for streaming, especially as they launch more 4K titles. So far their tech support refuses to acknowledge that their source material or compression for streaming could be the problem.

Have any of you on RC experienced similar issues with Amazon? The trouble shooting that Amazon and Roku have suggested made no improvements. Any thoughts, ideas, solutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John G in SD

Hosting Services by ipHouse