The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Wednesday March 16, 2016 at 15:01
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
There is a way, but I'm not sure if the products are or have been made.

Probably the best you can do to avoid multipath is to do what I did with the FM station in the example above, and null out multipath from one station, or one direction, and depend on the comparatively broad reception pattern of the antenna to give you the station you want. But this then limits you to avoiding one direction per antenna.

When the major LA TV stations were on VHF channels, Pico/Macom and Qintar both sold the same unit, a passive equalizer that split VHF into the seven channels in the market. That's how it was possible to run 400 TVs off one antenna. I can't find this product today using google.

No wonder: in what market are there enough stations on VHF, and enough people using antennas, for a company to provide an equalizer tuned to that market's VHF stations?

Yes, you will have multipath problems. Digital tuners are sometimes better at rejecting multipath than analog tuners, but YMMV.

Let's say you want antenna A to get channel 54 and antenna B to get channel 37, and the antennas point 60 degrees apart. You put a filter on antenna A that kills its channel 37 signal and a filter on antenna B that kills its channel 54 signal. Thus the multipath signal is not there to combine with the direct signal. But this is just theory so far.

When I first seriously looked at equalizing UHF antenna signals, signals in my market were as much as 20 dB different. That VHF equalizer that I mentioned allowed me (with an external 10 dB amp) to equalize the VHF signals to within 1 dB. The reason you want to do this is so that the lowest level signal can be amplified enough to be usable before the highest level signal causes the amplifiers to distort. But I was not able to find equipment that would let me adjust single UHF channels.

There were filters, tunable with a screwdriver, IIRC, that attenuated three or four stations. I never pursued this because it did not look like a reasonable thing to do.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse