The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday March 1, 2016 at 11:59
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
I have not contributed here lately as I haven't been doing much Pronto development. I still have my Pronto's and they are my "remote of choice" for A/V. I just finished a little project that may be of interest to people on this forum.

I needed a reasonable way for all my Home Automation controllers (Pronto's, iPads, UDI ISY, Homeseer) to deal with IR. I built a two part solution. Part 1 runs under Windows (&, 8, 10) and will build IR timing files and Macro sequences for part 2 which I call the IR Proxy. Part 1, IR_Gen, takes as input protocol files in .irp format or in Pronto Hex format. It builds timing files for each command in the input for Global Cache devices, any of the GC devices that drive IR. Part 2 runs on a Raspberry Pi 2 and takes simple TCP/IP commands and provides feed back. It discovers all the GC devices and then just sits there waiting for a TCP command to request transmission of a IR pattern to a Global Cache.

As an example lets say I have a Global Cache device I call "house", and a timing file for a Cisco 4200 Set Top Box named STB. The following TCP command will be accepted: "DOIR House,1,STB,Select" and send a 'Select' command to the Cisco device connected on port 1 of the designated GC device. Similarly the TCP command "MACRO House,1,NBC" will send a predefined macro named NBC out port 1 of the House Global Cache.

The Proxy is very fast. it holds the data base for the Global cache in global cache format, while IR Gen maintains the input protocol data bases. Once the RPi is set up and running there is almost nothing to be done except restarting it when you change its IR Database.

I am up to the point of documenting the system, but am curious as to how much interest there is in such a system before I expend a lot of effort on documentation.

Hosting Services by ipHouse