Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Monday February 8, 2016 at 10:38
24/7
April 2008
On February 7, 2016 at 21:08, nickpicklo said...
Little bit of background. I have been an integrator for over 10 years. I have trained and sold Crestron, RTI, Lifeware, Colorado vNet, and URC. I have lived with, in my personal home, C4, Crestron, RTI and URC. With the release of Total Control by URC I jumped off the Crestron ship. Total Control far out does any system available for it's market. With the combination of TC hardware and DashOS.net modules and software, I can do anything that any other system can do and more. It is the best system I have sold and personally lived with.

For 90% of integrators they think it is just about control of A/V systems. But it is much much more. Home automation is about automating your home. As some of my colleagues will agree home automation should be the automation of your homes features with minimal interaction by the user. An example, when a client walks into a room certain things should happen and happen based on variables. A little more detail, when a client walks into the kitchen, the system should run queries to see the time of day, the cloud cover, the last time the room was occupied, and if any other rooms are occupied. Based on the returns from those queries the room then should do "x". This is true automation.

Total Control can do this, with ease, and with the help of Dash. Something that my house does is, when you turn on the family room TV, check the time, if the time is 30 minutes before sunset then turn the lights on to 50%, if cloud cover is greater than 60% then turn the lights on to 50%, if neither of those are true, then simply turn on the TV. However, if while the family room is watching TV and the cloud cover becomes greater than 60% or sunset occurs, then turn the lights on to 50%. This is a very basic example, but from it you can see that certain things happen with little to know interaction from me. Automation.

Something that is very powerful and fun with Total Control is what we call reactive push notifications. With this, when something occurs, the client will receive a push notification on their iOS device (including Apple Watch) and then they will have an option to respond which will send a command without ever entering the URC app. A simple example is a home secure query. Something that I like to do is program the home to run a query at sunset. This query checks to see if locks are locked and garage doors are closed. If something is left unlocked or opened the client will receive a push notification. In that notification they have the option to send a command. They might receive a notification that says "Your front door is unlocked. Do you want to lock it?" If they press "Yes" then it will lock the front door, without ever going into the native app. This query is set up to run every 1 hour starting at sunset and running to sunrise. If the home stays secure, then no notifications are sent. Again, this is just quick example of what Total Control can do. I personally have not seen this from any other company.

I could go on with what TC can do, but won't. My purpose of posting is to counter the argument that TC is lame and doesn't require a skilled programmer. Programming basic functions with Accelerator is quite easy, and that is perfect for small jobs. But the capabilities to a skilled programmer are endless. URC's hardware is great. Their product design is the best in the business. Their processors are powerful.

It is laughable that someone posted C4 was for those that can't program and TC is for those who couldn't get into C4. C4 may be for those that cannot program, but TC is definitely not for those who couldn't buy into C4. There are more C4 dealers than TC. And I think that is by choice. Most TC dealers I know, world wide, use TC because they truly recognize a brand and product that is one of the best and sets the dealer apart from the rest of the "sheeple" in his/her area.

At the end of the day, TC is superior to C4. Much more customizable and malleable. C4 looks good to a lot of dealers because they are publically owned, advertise really well, their name is more know thanks to that, and upon first impressions does what it says it does. Something that hasn't been said yet, is that the automation system is only as good as the programmer who programmed it. A horrible programmer can make any product look bad.

We need more of your input around here. It's refreshing to read a response that doesn't begin or conclude with an insult. Thanks for that.

Hosting Services by ipHouse