The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Sunday January 31, 2016 at 17:42
Bubby
Advanced Member
July 2007
On January 7, 2016 at 22:47, Mac Burks (39) said...
I don't understand how people can hear "background checks & closing loop holes" and then their brain translates that to "Obama is coming to take my guns".

Because it is a slippery slope. And it happens with more than just guns when the government gets involved. Take the EPA for example. The clean water rules were for navigable waterways. Now they are trying to regulate farmers who have ponds on their land.

For me to be comfortable with with any changes to gun laws, there needs to be a constitutional amendment that spells out all the rights of citizens. For example, it would need to state in plain language that citizens are allowed to possess guns and then it can add in the controls that are needed.

"Criminals are going to get guns anyway" is the war cry from the gun nuts. Heres the problem with that assumption. Most criminals who have guns purchased them. The idea that teams of gun thieves are combing the streets robbing people with guns is ridiculous. Do thieves steal guns? Of course they do but the bulk of guns found in the hands of criminals were purchased from grey/black market dealers who...

A.Picked them up anonymously at the gun show/swap meet.
B.Are legal gun dealers but are selling weapons sideways.

The government actually does a pretty good job of arresting those who fall under B. but only after hundreds of guns hit the streets.

Actually the government does a horrible job of this. Most guns in Chicago are sold in a small number of gun stores in NW Indiana. Straw buyers purchase them and resell them to gang members. This is what needs to be stopped. New laws won't change anything if they aren't enforced more than the current ones are, or in this case, aren't.

As for citizens wanting to own guns the government doesn't know about, lets face it, some people don't trust our government and in many cases, it is for good reason.

Hosting Services by ipHouse