Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday January 26, 2016 at 18:37
Dr.Gonzo
Long Time Member
August 2006
What they said.
Apparently the coding and software is a little nuanced to where even if you can write code, you need some pointers on the program and how the code goes together.

I decided I wanted to take the programming class a few years back. Even though I'd been in the industry for a while and could program lighting, most remotes, some Crestron and use the AMX software for diagnostics I had no knowledge of actually writing lines of code and the characteristics and vocabulary of it. I was toast after day 1 of their programming class. I was 100 percent sure I had walked into a land where they spoke a different language.

Granted, there were some guys from a large commercial company in the class who all had computer science degrees and programmed for a living and they still took a bit to catch on to the methodology of how it went together and how the modules got laced into the program. But once they figured it out it all clicked and their propeller heads went into warp drive. It was easy for them from there.

So if you are familiar with C++ you could pick it up pretty easily with some tutoring from a programmer or taking the class. If not, the software is not an easy learn like most drag and drop programs for our industry.

Hosting Services by ipHouse