The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 611 made on Thursday January 14, 2016 at 19:33
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
On January 12, 2016 at 12:06, Big Russ said...
For all you bourbon drinkers. I fount this article interesting but not surprising at all.

[Link: thedailybeast.com]

First of all, rye is not bourbon. Bourbon must be made out of 51% corn, and the rest can be made up of any combination of corn, wheat, rye, or pretty much whatever the master Distiller wants to use. So, my bourbon is most likely not coming from this bulk distiller. But they are supposed to be distilling their own now. The buying from other sources is only to get them going until they can age their own liquor.

Second, other than Angels Envy, who does buy their bourbon and finish it in port barrels, the bourbons I prefer come from select distillers that have been around for a long time and are known for creating their own liquor from start to finish. My favorite is Buffalo Trace, and pretty much any product they turn out. And you can tour their distillery and see all of the stages of the process.

That said, occasionally I do look for different or new bourbons to try, and have probably encountered a few of bourbons that started in a bulk batch distiller. Tin Cup being one that comes to mind that I would guess started this way. But after my last experiment with a new bourbon, I'm sticking to proven bands for a while.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse