The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Friday November 6, 2015 at 20:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 6, 2015 at 16:14, juliejacobson said...
But it does matter in terms of hiring and subcontracting. You might want to hire a certified CEDIA guy if for no other reason than they took the initiative to do the training.

That's a valid point. Once you get some distance away from finishing college you realize that the only thing college does, for most people, is show that a)they can stick with something that doesn't have an instant reward, and b)they can write a paper, that is, integrate information and come up with something... new, helpful, interesting... probably.

On November 6, 2015 at 16:43, 2nd rick said...
I wouldn't use the term 'pointless' at all.

I don't want to just be negative, but you saying that is a foregone conclusion. If you used the term pointless, you'd be crazy to stay in your present job.

Last year, over 40,000 people used the 'find a CEDIA professional' button on the CEDIA.ORG site (the consumer site).

Come on, that's an empty statistic and you're better than that. First, how many of those 40,000 "find" button pushes resulted in installations? 10,000? 200? Pushing a button on a website is an empty gesture if it does not turn into installations.

Another way in which that is an empty statistic is that it doesn't mention how many installations there were in the US during the same time period. I mean, if it were 50,000, but CEDIA button pushes resulted in 200 of those, then we could conclude something! See how negative that seems with that number attached to it? Or if there were a total of 300,000* installations, that would sizably reduce the value that could be put on a button push!

*that's a bit fewer than one installation per thousand people, which must be WAY larger than the actual amount. But once you substitute some actual numbers and fill out the picture, you get to see some meaning.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse