Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday November 6, 2015 at 06:46
leopardus2
Long Time Member
November 2015
Hi there,

I am passionate for vintage electronics and also have a large DVD collection, so I got myself a Sony CX-777ES changer. Nice unit. but as most of you know, horrible to unusable interface.

So I got this NOS Escient SE-D1 unit off ebay with the idea to use it to control my DVD changer. Yes, I was aware that Escient filed for bankruptcy, but thought I wouldn't care about the disc identification not working anymore, as the interface alone would be a big improvement.

Unfortunately, after hooking it up to the Internet, I found out that it wants to call home to register itself (serial number, blah blah) and of course there is nobody home anymore, the servers have been decommissioned.

Now, I understand this is a vintage unit, but I wonder what all the people which still owns an Escient unit thinks about they being stranded by such an event, especially considering that these were very expensive units.

Back to my problem, I wonder if there's a way to skip the damn "call home and register the unit" procedure? As if I don't, every time it reboots it will go into quick setup mode - pretty annoying, makes it unusable...

Thank you in advance, any hint is appreciated!

Rick

Hosting Services by ipHouse