The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday October 6, 2015 at 19:48
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On October 6, 2015 at 14:01, George Pope said...
Hey Guys,

Designing a 70v distributed audio system for a commercial installation. I'm well aware 70V has limited sound quality issues but want to provide the best possible under this restriction.

This is absolutely untrue. We are most familiar with POS audio systems costing the very least -- think 100 8" full-ranges in a supermarket ceiling -- and therefore conclude that 70 volt fidelity is crap. A bunch of 8 ohm speakers selling for twenty bucks apiece would sound just as bad. You have to get serious about 70 volt to get good sound, that's all. Consider Tannoy, JBL, and Soundtube.

There are 5 single point stereo speakers and 3 pairs of stereo in ceiling speakers involved.

Wait -- you've not only already bought 8 ohm speakers, but bought single point stereo speakers? Or do it depend on what the meaning of "are" are?

I Want to get as good a quality sound as possible, so quality low impedance speakers will be used throughout.

False premise, much extra money must be spent to get the sound you want.

Since a great deal of the response is lost in the

cheap
transformers, can anyone suggest a make and model you've had luck with?

Look into the three brands I suggested.
Also, Since on wall volume controls will be available to the client, will those transformers impede the sound quality as well? ( I suspect yes)

Use 70 volt transformers.   EDIT:  Use 70 volt VOLUME CONTROLS

I know the natural response will be why don't you use a low impedance system in the first place?

No, the natural response is that you should find a pro who understands 70 volt speaker systems and have them consult to get your system designed. Fred can do a lot of this for free, but I don't know if he has all those brands.

The reason is this is a growing office and plans are to expand widely in the near future within the same building.

A 70 volt system is the IDEAL system for anything that is growing, since you can plan in advance to supply more power than is needed now, then simply daisy-chain more speakers in the future.

Off the 8 ohm idea. It's just wrong.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on October 7, 2015 01:03.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse