The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Tuesday August 18, 2015 at 15:11
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On August 18, 2015 at 14:55, highfigh said...
Making most terminations on a ladder sucks and I agree about the fact that butts can't be undone but if there's any danger of cutting through the splice or the wire, a better crimper is needed and we all know- dykes aren't crimpers.

You use Wagos for everything that doesn't need to be weather-proof?

Pretty much. Anything stranded yes. If i have a Cat5 thats getting used for something other than phone or ethernet (trigger/relay/IR whatever) yes. If i am working with solid wire and phones i will use UR2 scotchlocks (red cap).

I don't use butt splices or "beanies" (dolphins) for anything because 1 out of 3 fall off when i find them in the field and touch the wire.

For weather resistant i use wire nuts for anything stranded with silicon in the wire nut. For burial i use a resin kit. I don't really have a favorite. I just order from amazon when i need them and i always pick something different. Scotchcast is probably one of the easier to use.

After doing over 7000 12V installations with crimp caps, butt splices and other crimped terminals, I don't see the time or stripping as a problem because it doesn't take long, but when one wire in a bundle ends up being short and there's no way to make them even, anyone with a little OCD will be irritated.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse