The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Tuesday August 18, 2015 at 14:55
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On August 18, 2015 at 14:36, Mac Burks (39) said...
Butt splices might be good when done perfectly but there is a lot of room for error. The last time i used them was when i was on the very top of an 8' ladder and i had a butt splice loaded into my crimpers. I put the wire in and before i had it crimped i swayed a little and it slid off the wire. With wire nuts you don't need a tool, you don't have to worry about cutting through the butt splice or the speaker wire. And if you ever need to service the splice/connection you don't have to cut and strip again.

I used them for 10 years but never again. These days i use wagos. If wagos vanished today i would go back to wire nuts.

Making most terminations on a ladder sucks and I agree about the fact that butts can't be undone but if there's any danger of cutting through the splice or the wire, a better crimper is needed and we all know- dykes aren't crimpers.

You use Wagos for everything that doesn't need to be weather-proof?

After doing over 7000 12V installations with crimp caps, butt splices and other crimped terminals, I don't see the time or stripping as a problem because it doesn't take long, but when one wire in a bundle ends up being short and there's no way to make them even, anyone with a little OCD will be irritated.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse