The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday July 19, 2015 at 10:02
roddymcg
Loyal Member
September 2003
On July 18, 2015 at 15:30, Ernie Gilman said...
First, I don't and won't do alarm stuff.

Every alarm company I've dealt with will not accept or use wiring unless they install it themselves. They are taking a risk wiring up anything; why would they take the additional risk that an outside installer made a mistake or cut a corner too sharply? Be sure to check with the alarm company first.

You're at a pricing disadvantage since you're only doing the prewire, a job with only one return. An alarm company can offer a client free installation by jacking up the monthly price. When I discovered the alarm company had done that at a retail chain I once worked for, I was able to force the alarm company to take an immediate payment for the installation and lower the monthly. We got a savings totaling $20,000 on several stores by changing the contract terms. But not every company has the capital to pay for installation up front.

You're right: your installation might be $6000! If so, you need it all at once but the alarm company could spread it out over several years, and again you're at a disadvantage.

Then... let's say someone breaks into the client's place, the alarm system malfunctions, and they find a way to pin it on your wiring. Is that the business you want to be in?

When I was in your neck of the woods we generally pulled the alarm wire on prewires. Never had an alarm company refuse to use our wiring. We did not do the alarm install or monitoring though so we charged about 10% less for alarm contacts prewire. Since we did high end homes all wiring was home run so our Crestron layouts could show every contact individually.

Ian was in business for 20 plus years, I was with him for over 8 years. And it was a good business to be involved with. Hopefully others can succeed with this plan.
When good enough is not good enough.

Hosting Services by ipHouse