The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday July 18, 2015 at 19:16
sceneselect
Long Time Member
March 2012
On July 18, 2015 at 15:30, Ernie Gilman said...
First, I don't and won't do alarm stuff.

Every alarm company I've dealt with will not accept or use wiring unless they install it themselves. They are taking a risk wiring up anything; why would they take the additional risk that an outside installer made a mistake or cut a corner too sharply? Be sure to check with the alarm company first.

Cutting a corner too sharply? Have you seen how some of these hacks run their wire up, through, over, and in romex, a/v wire, and plumbing??

Other than that you are spot on!!

You're at a pricing disadvantage since you're only doing the prewire, a job with only one return. An alarm company can offer a client free installation by jacking up the monthly price. When I discovered the alarm company had done that at a retail chain I once worked for, I was able to force the alarm company to take an immediate payment for the installation and lower the monthly. We got a savings totaling $20,000 on several stores by changing the contract terms. But not every company has the capital to pay for installation up front.

You're right: your installation might be $6000! If so, you need it all at once but the alarm company could spread it out over several years, and again you're at a disadvantage.

Then... let's say someone breaks into the client's place, the alarm system malfunctions, and they find a way to pin it on your wiring. Is that the business you want to be in?

Hosting Services by ipHouse