The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday June 23, 2015 at 15:30
razking
Long Time Member
February 2011
We've recently setup a couple of self professed hard core xbox gamers by connecting the console direct to the tv and then running digital audio back to the AVR. Both had Samsung UHD tvs (one was a 7100 series, don't recall the other) We then set their Samsung UHD tvs into Game mode. the picture quality degraded but game response was ok for them (in case you are wondering they spec'd and bought the TV's before we were involved). In both cases the console was in the same room as the TV so a direct short run hdmi cable made the connection.

On these new Samsung's Game mode is accessible from the System menu and is not as far as I can find available as an IR or RS232 command (on any Sammy not just the new ones). Also, since game mode is set from the bowels of the System menu it would appear to be a system wide (i.e. for all inputs) setting though a support chat with Sammy says it only applies to the input in use at the time the setting is made. At one site this appeared to be the case after a quick check of the STB connected through a denon. But I'm not yet sure.

I am anticipating that Blu-ray or streaming 'regular' content via the XBOX will suffer when the TV is in game mode. Without a programmable command to take the input out of game mode the user will have to learn to traverse the menu structure (and who knows what mischief will ensue). Did not have time to test this but will be going back to one of the sites later this week.

At one of the sites the user would have no issue changing the system settings - also does not have a custom control so there is no perceived loss of value. Seems to me that if we've sold someone a custom remote and they have to do something manually that would lessen the value of the custom remote.

If you know otherwise about the above please do tell.

Can you specify any make of the current crop of TV's HD or UHD that has discretes for taking it in and out of game mode? If so please make note - it wasn't meant as a yes or no question ;-). If its limited to only particular model line please tell.

Is there any particular combination of products and associated settings, and in particular using a UHD set, that you've found works well (enough!?) for gamers?

Does operating through an AVR with a game mode setting introduce appreciable lag? Any current make/model better than another?

Which products, at least as gaming is concerned, are to be avoided.

Do hdmi extenders introduce lag or other problems as regards gaming (whether the game is extended directly or via the avr)?

A separate discussion is what value does a UHD tv have, for video or gaming, given the size v. proximity requirement to See the increased detail - but that's for another time.
You can't make toast in a floppy disk drive.
www.envelopingsound.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse