The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Thursday June 11, 2015 at 00:06
Mr. Stanley
Elite Member
January 2006
Actually no I don't. Its pretty old school. Just looking to improve the signal path as much as possible, and if really needed --- upgrade some of the raw drivers with better performing ones. Its not that scientific... I have a knack for doing this --- I've done it for forty odd years.

If there is a better woofer, mid or tweeter, I'll suggest the upgrade. Surprisingly there have been few BIG advances in speaker technology over the last 40 years.

Some drivers have improved, better (lower distortion) cone materials, and fairly recently tweeter design has improved (especially some of the better ribbon tweeters) and computer aided crossover design has helped move up the bar.

I also work on a lot of vintage JBL speakers (L-100's), Dalquist, AR, KLH, Polk, Cerwin Vega, Klipsch, A/D/S, Wharfdale, , Quad, Infinity, Carver, M&K, Advent, EPI, Sonus Faber, KEF and others... and there are some serious tweaks and upgrades out there for a lot of these old guys.

A fairly minimal investment in improving and repairing these speakers make a lot of fiscal sense... as you can drop a couple hundred or so $$$ into a pair of speakers and end up with something that would cost several hundred or thousands of dollars, today to be better.

I love nothing more than taking in an older speaker and being able to make a substantial improvement & hand back a pair of improved speakers, sonicaly, as well as cosmetically (cabinets re finished - grille cloths re-done) and see the owner's eyes light up and the smile that crosses their face when we fire them up in the listening room!

Often the situation is... a twenty or thirty something brings in speakers their (late) father left them, and these speakers have amazing sentimental value... These guys recall crawling around on the shag carpet, twenty or thirty years ago in their parents living room, when their parents were blasting the Beatles, Stones or Led Zep on these beasts of speakers---and being able to restore them and improve them back to better than original condition - so that they may pass them on to THEIR kids, is very satisfying.

It doesnt make me rich financially, but it is very satisfying - as I know every time they fire them up, the good memories will come back, and they will sound pretty damn good, and are cool mid-century pieces of furniture.
Now, if I could find a way to really capitalize on this, so I could make some good money, that would be great.... but being able to resurrect these beautiful older speakers and improve on their performance helps me sleep at night, and my customers really, really appreciate our efforts.
Its a good thing, and trying not to sound cliche' ---- to me is a labor of love.

I'm a crappy guitarist, but I still LOVE music, and this is the closest I can come to making people happy through sound and music.

Last edited by Mr. Stanley on June 11, 2015 00:27.
"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."
Frank Lloyd Wright

Hosting Services by ipHouse