The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Monday June 8, 2015 at 19:03
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On June 6, 2015 at 12:14, Richie Rich said...
I would just keep on doing my thing for that client.

We did a Crestron system for a client who had a homebuilder who brought in all his usual subs, except his CI. Somehow his CI and the lady of the house got off on the wrong foot, odd since she turned out to be a really nice, easygoing person, but whatever. Over the strong objections of the builder, we got the contract.

It wound up being easily the most hostile, crappy jobsite I have ever worked on. The builder tossed us under the bus at every opportunity, he and his subs were uncooperative and at times downright nasty. Their attitude was that we screwed their buddy over by getting the contract. Lots of things wound up taking a lot longer then they needed to and there was a lot of petty, stupid, childish issues (like not being allowed to use the site dumpster)
In the end we got the job done, client was happy with the finished project and we made some money but being where you are not wanted every day is unpleasant.

Consider it a good thing you weren't potentially in that environment.

The best way to handle situations like this is to be super organized and proactive. If you (for example) need an outlet somewhere...put it in writing and present it to the builder and electrician. If it doesn't happen like it should move up to the client and explain that his builder and electrician cant figure out how to get an outlet installed so you have to contact your own electrician and you just need the client to agree to the change order.

No seriously...the best way to deal with "thrown under the bus" job site babies is to treat them exactly the way they treat you.

The jobsite dumpster could have been handled easily. "Mr.Client, the contractor explained to us that we don't have access to the job site dumpster, we will need to get our own, where should we put it? Its going to be an extra $350 a week".

That phone call would have gotten you one of two things. The go ahead to use the existing dumpster or a spot of land to plop your own, client paid for dumpster. I would even put a cover on it and keep it locked until you need it just to piss off the contractor.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse